Thursday, May 31, 2012

Reflections from Dad

Dad took some time to write out some thoughts:

The most common question I'm asked lately is: "How's Tina?" followed by "How are you doing?"

I usually reply, "I think I'm doing okay."

Through this whole journey of sickness, it goes generally okay unless you focus on yourself. It's not hard to take care of the love of your life. It gives you a purpose. I'm convinced you need a reason to get up every morning.

We (Tina and I) were discussing how I will go on when she passes on to the next life. It certainly is not easy to talk about, as there is a whole range of emotions that come up. Tina suggested I write some of these down, so here I am at 4:00 a.m. writing. Don't get alarmed - I have always been an early riser.

I'm convinced that death was not part of the original creation, and that is why we have a hard time dealing with it. We were created to live eternally (forever) and when death looms at the door, we are uncomfortable. The Scripture that gives me great comfort in this is the story of Jesus when he agonized over His upcoming death in the Garden of Gethsemane. Even my Saviour and friend struggled with death and dying - and He is God. What a comfort.

When I look ahead, I'm often fearful about how I will deal with the loss of Tina. Scripture says "The two will become one" and I am well aware of this after 41 years of marriage. So when I lose her it will be like losing part of me. I don't want to dwell on that a lot because it makes me sad and anxious. Instead, I will dwell on the verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and "I will never leave you or forsake you."

The scriptures have great promises, and I can't imagine living without these. The promise of eternal life gives us a reason to go on and to share with others the wonderful work of our Saviour. "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." What a promise - that whoever is you and me.
Bert

2 comments:

  1. Bert we are praying for you and for Tina and the family. Jim will be posting something for you as well. You and Tina had been good friends of ours while we lived in Exeter and we will cherish the times we have shared over the years we were there. Our hearts and prayers are with you through this journey.

    bren and Jim Tuxford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Bert, it was good to read your words. At the risk of sounding trite, thanks for sharing them. I am reminded of the words my mom underlined in her Bible so long ago - Lamentations 3:19-23... Because of the Lord's faithfulness and great love, we have HOPE. Our sorrows will not consume us, for His mercies are new every morning. One day will have its challenges, but God provides the strength and mercy needed for one day at a time. I am thankful we serve a God whose arms span beyond our sorrow, anger, anxiety and doubts. Peace to you and the family. spot

    ReplyDelete