Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Well done

I want to close this blog with one final post (unless Dad wants to add more about the funeral later). Mom is done her journey, and has arrived home with Jesus. Today we celebrated her life at the funeral.

Thank you for everyone who participated in some way, and comforted and cared for us in many countless ways. To those who came to the visitation (and waited in a long, uncomfortable line), thank you. To those who came to the funeral, thank you. I realize sharing in the journey of grief is difficult. For those who were able to walk with us today, thank you. I know I have sometimes shied away from visitations and funerals as they are hard events, and I so appreciate the effort so many made to grieve with us.

Today, there were many tears, but also much joy. We started the funeral service by playing the worship video on the previous post "I will rise." Before, when I listened to this song, tears rolled down my cheeks at the difficult thought of my mom dying. Today, we worshiped with it and joy flooded my heart, because I knew Mom was now with Jesus. No more sorrow, no more pain. The difficult journey we made together is complete, and we safely delivered her into the arms of Jesus. Well done, good and faithful servant. Mom endured to the end, and we were able to hold her hands and pray her into the kingdom as she took her last breaths. At times it seemed impossible that we would endure, yet God helped us and taken Mom to safety in Him. Joy.

This verse has been running through my head often over the last couple of days: "The Lord is gracious and kind, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."

To each funeral program was attached the beads that Fellowship of Christian Farmers gives out at farming events, beads that simply and beautifully explain the gospel story, how God's gift of salvation gives us life here, and everlasting life in heaven. Dad explained the beads to everyone. Then we sang some of Mom's favourite hymns together. Dad sang strongly beside me, and it was beautiful.

Mary and Rue, Mom's friends, shared stories of Mom. Then some of us in the family got up to share stories of Mom. We cried lots, but also laughed at stories of Mom's antics. A sermon pointed us to Jesus, and then we went to the cemetery. Perhaps I've forgotten something? My kids and I and Paul emptied a kleenex box, then filled it with soppy tissues.

At the cemetery, Willemina (dad's cousin) sang a beautiful blessing over us, a song by Michael Card "The Lord Bless You and Keep You." We prayed. Then together we sang a song that is very meaningful to us in the Dutch community: "Ere Zij God." Comforting to sing this old familiar chorus of praise "Glory to God and peace to men on earth...." Then the kids released some colourful helium balloons, a symbol of Mom's childlike heart and love for her grand kids. Close friends of mine who have walked with me through these four years stood with me at the graveside. It was so comforting to be surrounded by friends and family for this difficult task.

The gravestone was already there, as Mom and Dad had taken care of that a while back. The plot is right beside Uncle Paul and Jeremy, who died in a car accident about 17 years ago. That is Aunt Wilma's husband and son.  It was sad to also remember them as we stood there with Mom's casket. It was also close to my grandmother's grave. And Uncle Albert's. We shall see them all someday soon. Sometimes it feels like eternity is rushing towards us faster than we're ready for it.

Thank you to all who have been with us through all of this. We thank you for your love and support and prayers. Mom, we know you're running and leaping in heaven, in perfect joy.


3 comments:

  1. Peace as you rest and reflect in the days to come. spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jeanette for sharing this blog with us. I know it was probably very difficult to write at times but you helped a lot of people deal with your mom's journey. Your family is an inspiration to many. As much as we will all miss your mom, we KNOW that we will see her again in heaven and that brings comfort. I pray God's blessings on your entire family. May God's perfect peace be your constant companion in these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette, thank you for writing this blog, and to the rest of your family for sharing your story. It was hard to read, when I first encountered your blog, how sick your mom was. But His grace is sufficient, and that was so clear to me as I read.

    Evenmore so, as I stood with you at the funeral (well, not with you, but somewhere in that massive crowd) to share "I will rise," and to sing "It is well." It truly is, and we can say that with stubborn confidence in the face of grief and pain. I am so deeply thankful that we can do this. Thank you for sharing your story. I am thankful for your mom, too, that God gave her to so many of us at different times in our lives. It was a long time ago, and not a long time ago, that I ate your mom's cooking and enjoyed the jogging suits that our moms made together. I bet they're sharing a laugh already.

    Peace to you in the days ahead. Strength, and know that we are praying for you and thinking of you.

    Jessica (DeJonge) Brand

    ReplyDelete